If you’re planning to buy property in Turkey, you should know that it could be one of the fastest ways to obtain Turkish citizenship and residence permit. In this article we’ll explain how buying property works, what documents are required and how much does it cost?
Property purchase conditions in Turkey
You can buy a property in Turkey if you are a non-European Union citizen. You must be 18 years old, have a valid passport, visa and bank account in Turkey.
In order to register the property with your name, you have to make an application at the land registry office of your district:
- If you buy a house or apartment which is registered with another person’s name as owner and it has not been used by them for more than five years;
- If you buy a building plot without buildings on it;
- If there is no mortgage over the property;
Who can obtain Turkish citizenship ( Turkish passport ) by buying property?
You will be eligible to apply for Turkish citizenship if you are at least 18 years old and can prove that you have enough money to buy a house in Turkey. You also must have a clean criminal record, which is verified by the police department in Turkey.
The price of real estate varies depending on where you are buying it, but it’s generally around $100,000 per square meter (about $10 per square foot).
Documents required for obtaining Turkish citizenship
- Passport of the applicant (valid for at least six months)
- Birth certificate of the applicant, a copy of which must be legalized by a Turkish consul (or other relevant authority) in your country of residence. If you are an adopted child and are not able to obtain your birth certificate from Turkey, you need to submit a written request explaining this situation as well as copies of adoption papers issued by both Turkey and your country.
- Marriage certificate if married with children: The marriage certificate should contain information about all family members who are living in Turkey. If there is any difference between what is stated on your own marriage certificate and that of one or more family members living in Turkey, you will have to provide explanation for it in writing with supporting documents such as school diplomas, driving licenses etc., proving that they are indeed related to you by blood.
How to apply for Turkish citizenship by buying property?
To apply for Turkish citizenship by buying property, you must first make a formal application at your local police station. You must bring original copies of all documents that prove that you are eligible to become a Turkish citizen or have been granted citizenship. These documents include:
- A copy of your passport (or ID card)
- Family members’ passports or ID cards if they are applying with you as well
- The original purchase contract for the property being used as proof of residence
- A copy of the property deed
How much does it cost to buy a house in Turkey?
The average price of a house in Istanbul is $200,000. The average price of a house in Ankara is $150,000. The average price of a house in Izmir is $100,000. The average price of a house in Antalya (South Coast) is $250,000. The average price of a house in Bursa (North) is $150,000
How can I pay for a house when I buy property in Turkey?
You can pay for a house in Turkey by cash, mortgage or rent. It is possible to buy property in Turkey without paying a large deposit and then pay the remaining balance over time. However, it is not necessary to take out a mortgage or arrange installments when you buy property in Turkey because this has been made easier by recent changes in law. If you do decide to lease the property at all times, there are no restrictions on where this happens as long as it remains within Turkish territory.
Buying property in istnbul is the fastest way to obtain Turkish residence
Buying property in Turkey is the fastest way to obtain Turkish residence and citizenship.
When you buy a house, you get an identification card that lasts for five years. You can extend this card once if needed. After getting your first residence permit, you can apply for citizenship after three years (or less if you have been married to a Turk).
Now that you know all the details about the property purchase process in Turkey, it’s time to start thinking about your own future. If you have any questions or would like more information on how to apply for Turkish citizenship by buying property, please contact us by phone and one of our experienced consultants will be happy to help.